Monday, July 9, 2007

Week 6, Thing 13: Learn about tagging and discover a Del.icio.us (a social bookmaking site)

Here's what I got for my first attempt at listening to the 12 minute tutorial:

ERROR: www.library2.0.ottergroup.com is temporarily unavailable or does not exist. Please check the address and try again.

Delays delays, nothing but delays! Phooey!

Anyway, my impressions: I took a good look around the site and I do see value in creating tags in this fashion. I opted to search out military items, and found wonderful tags for the Abrams Main Battle Tank and the M240B medium machine gun. Curiously enough, these tags also were tied in with people's Flick'r accounts with mad photos attached. For library purposes, one could create some reference links that could be located, say, on the desk top of the ref. desk computer (hmm, how would that work with mobile reference???). I don't think I would use this method for immediate reference, the "traditional" ways seem to work well for me, I feel my patrons leave quite satisfied with the information provided for the most part. But if one had some tags set up for commonly asked ref. questions, there could be a future for that. Interesting idea though, this Delicious (PS--I hate the name, very unmanly!!)

No comments: