Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Week 1, Thing 2: Pointers from Lifelong Learners

Since I don't own headphones I had to borrow a set from my son! I see people all the time plugged in staring vacuously at their computer screens, watching things like street fights or worse. I hate not being able to hear what is going on around me. Anyway on to the pointers from lifelong learners...I think the hardest point for me is "Beginning with the end in mind" Like trying to write a business or strategic plan or even a will. While not short sighted (I hope) it is difficult to see that far down the road, 'tis a joyless task. Perhaps what I like most is "teaching/mentoring others"...in an informal way. It is truly rewarding to impart information quickly and accurately to patrons (at work), and to others (family, friends and even strangers) in life. The simple act of giving someone accurate directions is fulfilling in some way. Because I would appreciate someone doing the same for me. I enjoy teaching my son about life, and retelling accurately for him events form the past. These are just a few examples of the teach/mentor philosophy. I hope these posts are what we are supposed to be doing.

1 comment:

SusanK said...

Some of your best learning will come from your son Ralph....often at the most inopportune moments.